Monday, October 8, 2012

The Open Bible - Thomas Nelson


The Open Bible 
Thomas Nelson




I am having problems deciding whether I really enjoy the Open Bible or think it’s a waste of time/money. I know there’s a large span between those two opinions, but I think in the end, I feel as though the Open Bible is a good Bible to have around, but I would never recommend buying it. Let me explain.

I love a good study Bible with relevant, interesting and easy to use resources. But I really dislike the idea of putting out a new Bible just for the sake of selling more Bibles. After spending some time with the Open Bible I am sad to say that I feel as thought this Bible falls squarely in the realm of the latter classification.

The extras in this Bible are great. I enjoy the write-ups on history, archeology, anthropology, etc. But these materials are not linked at all with the Bible content and so they would have been just as useful if they were contained in a separate book (EXCEPT for the fact that when they are in a Bible, they are (theoretically) with you when you need them as opposed to when you find yourself at a Bible study and wish you had some certain book or other at that particular moment… well with the Open Bible, it would be right there. But really, how often does that happen? And how often are you at a Bible study and find yourself with 10 extra minutes that would be necessary to peruse through the many essays and write-ups in the Open Bible to find the piece of information that you are looking for?)

I guess my biggest problem with the Open Bible is that it is not really a good study Bible nor is it a great Bible for reading. I found the in-Bible references lacking in substance and the legends difficult to remember and, thus, use effectively. I was really excited by Nelson’s catchphrase for this Bible, “Read and Discover the Bible for Yourself”, but this Bible really fell short of the goal because it doesn’t really promote that at all. A study Bible that doesn’t have meaningful in-text content doesn’t help me to discover the Bible for myself.

It’s a nice Bible to HAVE but I wouldn’t waste money on it if you already have a perfectly good Bible.

2 comments:

  1. So which one would you recommend?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Eliel,

      It depends on what you're looking for. If you're looking for a bible to READ I would recommend a devotional NKJV. But if you're looking for a Bible to study and read (which is important) than if you're a woman I would recommend the Women's Study Bible from Thomas Nelson. If you're a man (or a woman who doesn't like women's study bibles!) I would recommend the plain old NKJV study bible. Its excellent!

      Delete