Tuesday, November 27, 2012

The Purpose Driven Life



The Purpose Driven Life
What on Earth Am I Here For?
By Rick Warren



I should start this review by pointing out that I never read the original “Purpose Driven Life” put out 10 years ago by Rick Warren, but I do know that its ridiculously popular and that I always meant to get around to reading it. And now that its been republished and updated, I can say that I’m glad that I did!

The Purpose Driven Life is a 40-day read but I would not call it a “devotional”. Warren intends for the reader to embark on (and commit to) a 40-day journey of intentionally exploring what the reason is for their existence in this world. It starts with the truth about who God is and what he wants and moves to more specifics about our life.

The basic outline of the 40 days is divided between these basic premises:

  • We were planned for God's pleasure
    • so your first purpose is to offer real worship.
  • We were formed for God's family
    • so your second purpose is to enjoy real fellowship.
  • We were created to become like Christ,
    • so your third purpose is to learn real discipleship.
  • We were shaped for serving God
    • so your fourth purpose is to practice real ministry.
  • We were made for a mission
    • so your fifth purpose is to live out real evangelism.
And the daily reading explores the issues within each premise.

Unfortunately I wasn’t given 40 days to review this book but I can say that I have been changed even by what I have made it through so far. Even though Warren’s premises are simple enough to digest, the way they are set out really capture my desire for meaning and purpose in life and help me to understand the bigger picture of what God has intended me for in the grand scheme of the world.

There are some new features to the updated version of the book that deserve mention. At the beginning of each chapter is one of those scan squares that you can point your smartphone to and it will take you to a website dedicated to that day in the book (or you can just type in the URL if you don’t have a smartphone or scan reader). Each day’s website has a video introduction by Warren and then a 40 minute audio message that is supposed to expand upon the message. I think this is a great idea in theory, but really, I don’t have time for a 40 minute message every evening/morning… so I actually got stalled in my 40 day journey because I wanted to hear each audio message, which meant I couldn’t go on to day 3 when day 3 came around because I still hadn’t had time to listen to the message from day 2 (and so on). I’m still not sure how I’m going to deal with that. I’ll probably just keep going through the days and just save the audio messages for after the 40 day reading experience.

I am really enjoying the 10th anniversary edition of Purpose Driven Life. I think I may give away copies of it this Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment